Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Blueberry Banana Soft Serve

A while back I talked about my new found love of Banana Soft Serve, which I discovered from Oh She Glows. I am still loving it! I have tried some different additives such as peanut butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and blueberries.

The trick is to balance out the "hardness" of the icy treat. The other day I used 1 frozen banana and 3/4 cup of frozen blueberries.



It was delicious! All of this frozen fruit yielded a very hard product that wasn't easy to eat with my oatmeal, but perfect on it's own.



I am wondering what the consistency would be like with unfrozen blueberries.

Along with new additions to my banana soft serve, I have made a new addition to overnight oats. The original recipe I found on Oh She Glows uses chia seeds. I had been substituting ground flax seed becuase that is what I had on hand. After doing some research on chia seeds, I knew I had to try them. One tbsp of chia seeds has about 70 calories, with 3.5 g of unsaturated fat (mostly omega-3), 5.5 g fibre, and 2g of protein. This seed is a nutritional dynamo!

The dried seed absorbs the soy milk and thickens the oatmeal mixture. The seeds become moist and chewy, and adds a wonderful fatty flavour.



I have even read that chia gel (chia seeds soaked in water) can be used as a substitute for butter! I would love to try this substitution in the future.

Tomorrow I'll be posting a new way I found to cook an egg, inspired by all the green peppers from our garden. For now, I'll leave you with this picture which I thought was kind of pretty. I baked the haddock fillet in a foil packet with a lemon wedge and a sprig of oregano.


No comments:

Post a Comment