Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Kale Chips

I kind of lost track of time this week. Before I knew it, it had been 7 days since my last post. I told myself that once school starts I will make sure I make at least 1 post a week, no matter how busy I get. I plan to hold myself to it.

Today's post is about something that has taken the world by storm. When I say world, I mean my housemates. I decided to make some kale chips about a week ago. The housemates were intrigued. I urged them to try these crispy green chips. After the weird looks and hesitant hands, my housemates tasted the green chips. They loved them!

Kale Chips

1 stalk of kale, fills a big bowl with leaves
~0.5 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
smoked garlic (or garlic powder) to taste

Wash and dry kale. Remove the leaves of the kale stalk by pulling up on the stalk until the leaf comes off. This is the best way to remove the tougher stem. Put the leaves in a bowl. Toss in olive oil, salt and garlic.

before


Bake in a 425 degree F oven for about 5-10 minutes, tossing half-way through,

almost done


until crispy and browned at the edges. The time to crisp depends on how moist the leaves were.

finito!


These are such a great crispy side to a meal or snack. It is a great way to get a big serving for greens and a salty snack at the same time. I really want to experiment with these with different flavours. I'd love to make a ketchup, BBQ or dill pickle variety. To get these right might take a lot of trial and error but I'm willing to attempt it.

The weather has really cooled down the past few days and has influence my cooking for sure! Expect to see some fall-influenced foods soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment