Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

White Bean and Pesto Hash

The other day I picked up my favourite fresh pesto from Goodness Me. I first tried this pesto a few years ago when living in Waterloo, and ever since I cannot bring myself to buy a jarred variety. It is kind of pricey so I don't buy it often, maybe a couple times a year. I have expressed my love for the corn and basil combination before, and I will do it again. I love basil with corn. This recipe is again inspired by Heather's Quinoa on 101 Cookbooks, which I make just about every time I have pesto on hand. The recipe is really meant to be an inspiration and not something you follow to the tee. It is about combining a grain with whatever veggies you have on hand, and bringing it all together with a good quality pesto. I opted to not use a grain this time and instead used roasted potatoes. I also left out the tofu and instead added white beans which make the dish feel hearty and a little creamy. I think I might just make this version again one day.

White Bean and Pesto Hash
Serves 4

5 potatoes, chopped into cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
garlic powder

1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, died
1 cup corn
2-3 cups cooked white beans (I didn't actually measure this)
2 garlic cloves, grated
6 bok choy, chopped and whites separated from greens
pesto to taste (lightly coat the mixture)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Toss potatoes in olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Cover with aluminum foil.
  3. Roast covered for 30 minutes. Stir and roast uncovered for 15-20 min stirring halfway through.
  4. Heat olive oil in a pan on medium low. Add onions and the white part of bok choy. Cook for about 5-8 minutes until fragrant.
  5. Add corn, white beans, and garlic and cook until heated through.
  6. Add bok choy and continue to stir into the mixture until leaves have begun to wilt.
  7. Add pesto and stir to combine.
  8. Mix with roasted potatoes until fully combined. Serve warm.
As I was eating this I thought this would make a great savoury breakfast utilizing some leftovers. It all went so well together and was a nice surprise for putting it all together so quickly. This dish is only as good as the pesto so make sure you use a good one, fresh if possible. You will be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment