Curried Potato Split Pea Soup
2 tbsp olive oil
3 small onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 medium potatoes, diced to 1 cm cubes
3 medium carrots, shredded
4 celery sticks, chopped
2 tbsp curry powder
1 bay leaf
2 cups green split peas
5 cups water
3 cups vegetable stock
salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes until soft.
3. Add garlic and celery and sauté for 3 minutes.
4. Add the potato and carrots and saute for 5-10 minutes. Add curry powder and stir to coat.
5. Add split peas, stir to coat, and then add the water, stock, and bay leaf.
6. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer, place lid on pot to allow steam to escape.
7. Cook until peas are tender and falling apart. At this point you can reduce to desired consistency, or puree the soup and then reduce the liquid. I partially pureed the soup.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste.
|Oh the visual appeal of a pureed soup...|
It is crazy to think that the Holidays are just around the corner! This school term has flown by, exams are in less than two weeks. I haven't thought too much about Holiday recipes but I have a nice three week break over Christmas to do lots of cooking and baking. Hopefully you will hear from me before then. Have a great weekend!