Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Rosemary Potato Quinoa Salad

I have another potato recipe for you! This one incorporates one of my favourite flavour combinations, potato and rosemary. This salad is warm, comforting, and of course packed with healthy ingredients. With some extra-cold weather on it's way, having something warm and comforting to eat is always welcome.

Rosemary Potato Quinoa Salad
Serves 6

6 small-medium yellow fleshed potatoes (~800 g), diced small
3 tbsp olive oil
rosemary, to taste
salt
pepper
1 cup dry quinoa
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
6 mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, shredded
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Toss diced potatoes in olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper to taste in a large roasting pan.
3. Bake for 25 minutes, and then stir. Increase heat to 400 degrees F and bake for another 15-20 minutes until sizzling.
4. While the potatoes are in the oven, cook the quinoa according to package directions. (Bring to a boil in 1.5 cups water, stir, cover, and reduce to low for 15 minutes)
5. In a large pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes until soft. Add the mushrooms and garlic and continue to heat until mushrooms are cooked.
6. In a large bowl combine quinoa with onion mixture and stir to coat. Add potatoes and fresh parsley and mix well. Serve warm.


The photo doesn't do the salad justice really. While making this salad, which I had a feeling I would be sharing the recipe, I tried to think about the last time I took a picture with my regular camera, or with the DSLR. I couldn't think of it! It has been quite some time and after looking at this picture, I think I need to return to using a real camera. The artificial lighting in my home at night is just not conducive to good iPhone photography.

Anyway, the salad was delicious, and was another winning rosemary and potato combination. I had it alongside some baby arugula with a little bit of balsamic drizzled overtop. I imagine spinach would be nice too if arugula isn't your thing. Be sure to be liberal with the olive oil when roasted the potatoes as this extra oil becomes the "dressing" for the salad, helping to keep it all together. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't tell you how much great food we eat that just goes unphotographed, because nighttime photography is so much more challenging. More and more, staging food is a hassle, and so my posts have strayed away from that area a bit. =)

    I LOVE potato salad though, and we don't eat enough potatoes in this house...good inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete