Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Collard Green Chips

I'm going to be honest, this post barely contains a recipe. But, it does contain an idea. An idea that you should embrace, attempt, and then explore. 

If anyone has trouble getting enough leafy greens in a day, this idea is for you. 
If anyone has kids that wont touch a vegetable, this idea is for you.
If anyone gets a hankerin' for salty chips on a weekly basis, this idea is for you.

Embrace...
This idea is not new. In fact, a whole year ago I posted about it. It wasn't new then either. The idea is baking hardy leafy greens in the oven until you get chips. This time the star of the show was some collard greens. I have to admit that I had never purchased this leafy green before. However, when I saw the large bunch at the store, I knew what I wanted it for.

Attempt...
Collard Green Chips

1 large bunch of collard greens
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2. Remove tough inner stem of the leaves.
3. Break leaves up into smaller pieces.
4. Toss leaves in olive oil, until evenly coated, 'rubbing' the oil into the leaves.
5. Add garlic powder and chili powder and mix until evenly coated.
6. Place leaves in a single layer on a baking sheet. (note: do not layer the leaves or they will not cook consistently)
7. Baked in 425 degree F oven for ~10 minutes, turning halfway through, until crispy.

I apologize for the iPhone quality picture, but I was too busy eating a whole bunch of collard greens to get my actual camera out. That is right, I ate a whole bunch of collard greens. I wasn't kidding when i said this is a great way to get your leafy greens in. 

Explore...
The best part is that you can season these however you like. I can imagine using a splash of balsamic, dill, cumin, curry powder (not all together of course), or whatever your heart desires! There is a lot of room for experimenting here. Just be sure to lay off the salt (I usually don't add any). The dehydrated greens actually taste a bit salty naturally!

Not only can you experiment with different seasonings, but you can also experiment with different greens, or other vegetables for that matter! I have only attempted kale and collard, but swiss chard, beets, sweet potatoes, carrots or turnip would also work (adjust oven temps and times accordingly). Fall is the perfect time to experiment because the hearty greens and root vegetables are definitely in season. 

I would love to hear about any vegetable/seasoning combinations that turn out to be winners!

No comments:

Post a Comment