Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Breaded Eggplant

Did you know that eggplant is also called aubergine? I didn't! Usually when I cook with eggplant it is a failure. It often comes out spongy in stir-fries, which is my go-to method of cooking vegetables. Sometimes when eggplant is not fresh, it is neccessary to salt it, so that it doesnt act like a sponge.

Yesterday I bought an eggplant and was trying to think what to do with it. I had some leftovers of the black bean tomato sauce, so I thought an eggplant parmesan-type dish would be nice.

My Dad keeps a bowl of a good breading mix on hand. It is about a one to one mixture of whole-wheat bread crumbs and cornflakes. It also has some oregano in it. Any of a variety of spices can be added depending on your taste. Some classics would include oregano, basil, parsley or chili flakes. Some interesting ones to try would be cumin, coriander or even dill. I sliced the eggplant into about 1 cm slices. They were dipped in egg whites and then dredged in the breading mixture. They were then baked on a lightly oiled pan at 400 degrees F for about 12 minutes each side.


A great addition to this would be a little bit of parmesan cheese. They could be used to make a veggie sandwhich, or eaten on their own with some tomato sauce like I did.

1 comment: