Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sweet Potato and Carrot "Risotto"

As I have mentioned before, I have numerous mason jars in my cupboard filled different kinds of rice (along with other grains). One of them is a sunset blend from the bulk barn. It contains: parboiled medium rice, lemon garlic orzo pasta, sweet potato orzo pasta, Himilayan red rice, and brown mustard seed. I purchased it last summer when I went to the bulk barn for almonds and 30 dollars later came out with a bag full of goodies. When I saw this recipe on Framed Cooks, a fantastic blog that I frequent, I knew how I would use the rest of the senset blend. I wanted to use up a sweet potato, so I substituted some of the carrot, which I loved. This rice/pasta mixture doesn't provide the same risotto texture as arborio or other white rice, but it still worked nicely.

Sweet Potato and Carrot Risotto adapted from Framed Cooks

2 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and shredded
3 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
1 1/4 cup rice (I used sunset blend)
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup grated picorino cheese, plus some for topping

1. In a saucepan, mix the broth and water and heat. Keep at a low temperature, without simmering.
2. In a large pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and saute for a few minutes until soft. Add shredded sweet potato and carrot. Cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
3. Add rice and stir to coat well. Add white wine and continue to stir until absorbed.
4. Add broth mixture 1 cup at a time, stirring continuously until absorbed before adding the next batch.
5. Once all liquid has been absorbed, add the cheese and stir until melted. Serve topped with some more grated cheese.


While all the stirring and attentiveness seems a little labour intensive, this was actually not that bad compared to risotto with arborio I have made in the past. While this could be done with any rice, the lemon orzo pasta in the sunset blend was wonderful with the sweet potato and white wine. Next time I make this I think I would use all sweet potato, becuase I am not the biggest carrot fan.  While a warm dish with root vegetables, this dish has spring written on it for me, if only due to the vibrant colour and lemony hues.

It is daylight while I am writing, which is a nice change. Not only is this due to a non-late night post, but also becuase the days are getting longer. This makes me very happy. Before you know it, it will be Easter! Until then, I am still finding ways to satisfy my sweet tooth. Soon I will be sharing a more successful attempt at a non-sugar and butter laden dessert (unlike the rice "pudding").

No comments:

Post a Comment